Swindon Intermediate Care Centre provides both client-centred rehabilitation and treatment for exacerbation of symptoms in long term conditions in an inpatient setting. SwICC uses an interdisciplinary approach as a seamless element of the patients care pathway.
What we do and who for
SwICC Patients may include those:
- whose social care, nursing or medical need cannot be met in the community
- with a recent deterioration in condition which is remedial to some extent
- who need a short period of medical, therapy or nursing assessment
- where medical/health needs are identified
- thought unlikely to need highly technical intervention such as critical care or investigations beyond blood, urine tests and basic imaging
- with an expectation of discharge within performance indicator requirement
We care for a wide range of patients including those stepping down from acute care following a stroke, orthopaedic surgery or medical episode for the purpose of rehabilitation,
We also care for patients admitted directly from the community via SPA (Single Point of Access) for medical, nu.sing or therapy assessment / input that are not deemed to require acute care admission.
We aim to
- Support patients to achieve clearly defined goals to enable them to continue their rehabilitation and reablement in the community
- Involve, engage and support next of kin and carers in the care, rehabilitation and discharge process
- Provide individualised education to all patients which is appropriate to their condition or, if required, the patient will be signposted to other services.
Social Care Assessment is an integral part of discharge planning. SwICC is open to admissions 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.
When and where
Accommodation over 3 floors comprising:
Two 30 bedded single-sexed accommodation wards including TV lounge/dining room, large purpose-built gym, adapted therapy kitchen, quiet health check rooms and a disabled-access garden
An interdisciplinary team comprising specialist nursing staff, doctors, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, rehabilitation assistants, dieticians, social workers and admin support
SwICC Reception: 01793 605530 (Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm) answer phone out of hours.
Forest Ward: 01793 605511
Orchard Short Stay Ward: 01793 605501
SwICC Therapy: 01793 605519 (Mon – Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm) answer phone out of hours.
Map showing location through Google Maps.