We specialise in caring for survivors of sexual assault and rape and in the collection of forensic evidence from victims of this crime. We provide a service that treats the individual in a holistic manner addressing their immediate and longer term needs.
The support provided is for both adults and young people. It aims to promote recovery both mentally and physically whether or not they wish to report the incident to the police. It embraces the concept of integrated specialist clinical interventions and a range of assessment and support services through defined care pathways.
What we do and who for
- 24hr access / Crisis Workers / Choice of gender of physician wherever possible
- Dedicated, forensically approved premises/ Risk assessment of harm/self harm, together with an assessment of vulnerability and sexual health
- Immediate access to emergency contraception, post exposure antibiotics, pregnancy testing etc
- Access to a support worker ( Independent Sexual Violence Advisor ISVA)
- Appropriate onward referral/ Specialist team to provide 24/7 service/ Data collection
We aim to:
Support victims of sexual assault who will receive advice and access to services that they need immediately following rape or sexual assault including access to medical services, pursuing a formal criminal complaint, access to counselling and immediate non-judgemental support. We will provide appropriate services for victims of sexual assault who may or may not wish to involve the police whether it was recent or historical.
When and where
VPU The Gables, Shrivenham Road, South Marston, Swindon SN3 4RB, Wiltshire Open 24/7
Centre Manager, Clinical Advisor, Children and Adult Independent Sexual Violence Advisors, Specialist Counsellors and Crisis Workers.
PCT Commissioners Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership Great Western Hospital Paediatric Services GP’s Wiltshire Police Children’s Services GU Department throughout Wiltshire Voluntary Services G4S Forensic Medical Services Ltd Domestic Abuse Coordinators Swindon & Wiltshire Community Safety Partnership Adult Services